Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
top story

Council Bluffs dual, divided highway to open in spring

  • Updated
  • 0

The westbound Interstate 80/northbound Interstate 29 segment of the dual, divided freeway in Council Bluffs is expected to open to traffic in early spring of this year, according to the Iowa Department of Transportation.

The design will physically separate through-traffic on I-80 from local traffic on I-29 destined for Council Bluffs, creating I-80 express lanes and I-29/I-80 local lanes. In late 2019, the eastbound I-80/southbound I-29 segment is expected to open to traffic, the DOT said.

“The dual, divided freeway will be a big change for drivers in the region,” said Scott Schram, Iowa DOT District 4 engineer. “However, the growing pains of change will be worth it in the long run because this will improve safety and ease congestion.”

The DOT said an online meeting has been developed to explain the upcoming changes and the impacts to people traveling on the interstate and local businesses in the area of Interstates 29 and 80 in Council Bluffs.

The changes are part of the ongoing 10-year project to reconstruct Interstates 80, 29 and 480.

The online meeting is now available at the interstate project website, www.CouncilBluffsInterstate.IowaDOT.gov. Click on the online meeting link on the home page.

The meeting will allow the public to view it any time and will be available on the website throughout the construction season.

The Iowa DOT is asking interested parties to take a few minutes to view the online public meeting and review information on the website. The website also offers a way for those interested to receive future notifications regarding construction. Use the “Get Involved” link on the project website to subscribe.

0 Comments
* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

DES MOINES — Iowa’s state budget has an unspent surplus of nearly $2 billion, Gov. Kim Reynolds announced Tuesday — 54 percent higher than last year’s record-breaking level.

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

News Alert