Council Bluffs, IA 51503
About The Daily Nonpareil
The Daily Nonpareil of Council Bluffs, Iowa, is southwest Iowa's largest newspaper and serves a 10-county area to provide the latest news, sports and happenings in the region.
We are one of the oldest businesses in Council Bluffs, outdating even the Union Pacific Railroad by nearly 10 years.
Two newspapers beat The Nonpareil to be first, The Frontier Guardian (est. 1849) and The Chronotype (est. 1854), but they didn't outlive the Nonpareil.
William Wirt Maynard published the first issue of The Nonpareil on May 2, 1857. It was four pages long, eight columns wide and 23 inches deep. It was published every Saturday at 1 Palmer Block (the northwest corner of Broadway and Scott Street today) and said in no uncertain terms that The Nonpareil partakes of the Republican caste, that party being the nearest representation of our political proclivities.
Yet, we do not wish to be understood as committing ourselves entirely to the politics of that organization. We reserve the right to adopt whatever coincides with our views and to condemn what we cannot reconcile without belief in a fearless and independent way. What it didn't say was that Nonpareil is a French word for unequaled and is also a printer's term for two picas -- and employees of The Nonpareil have been explaining that ever since.
Is this your business?
Promote your business through our innovative Marketplace system! It's free to sign up!
- Newspaper Advertising near Council Bluffs, IA
- Advertising Newspaper Classified near Council Bluffs, IA
- Direct Newspaper Sales & Delivery near Council Bluffs, IA
- Magazine & Newspaper Stands near Council Bluffs, IA
- News Agencies near Council Bluffs, IA
- News Sports Services near Council Bluffs, IA
- News Correspondents near Council Bluffs, IA
- Shoppers News Publications near Council Bluffs, IA